Wow. It’s been quite a while since I talked about any knitting. To be honest, its been a hot minute since i’ve done much knitting.
In yarn adventures I got to check out a cool knitting shop in Vegas called Sin City Knit Shop. I didn’t get to spend much time there but it had a really cool atmosphere and friendly people! I picked up needles and stitch markers for a shawl/cowl project I started while I was out there. I used a yarn I got at a local fiber event earlier in the winter (hand dyed from Th’Red Head), but haven’t gotten further than row 3. Sadly, I need to check my stitch count before I go further (all 305 of them!). That project is in time out for now…
my beautiful hand dyed yarn
Over the weekend Laura and I went to Winterset, Iowa for our second annual Heartland Fiberpalooza trip. We both treated ourselves to a skein of the softest alpaca yarn. I am going to make a quick scarf just so I can have that heavenly softness near my face whenever possible.
Other than these projects, on my needles still are the never ending scarf that I bought LAST year at Fiberpalooza and my Grandmas shawl. I really only have a couple inches left to go on the shawl but am just kind of stalled as the rows seem ssoooooooooooo long! #knittingproblems
Before I get into my WIP’s today, I think I need to talk about my completed works!
First is my Hitchhiker scarf. I know I mentioned it about a month ago but I’m still really excited about it. I finally got around to taking some better pictures of it to show it off. I’m still not sure on its final destination so it will sit safely stored away for now, unless I can find an outfit to wear it with. I’m not one to wear scarves so we shall see.
Hitchhiker Scarf, completed
Then Sunday I finished my hat that I was making from my Lion Brand Ice Cream Yarn. I could’ve made the body a bit taller but it works out pretty well. I have been close to finishing it all week but slowed down when I put it on DPN’s for the decreasing. I need to learn and use the magic loop method. DPN’s are barely ok, until you get down to those last stitches then I find them extra maddening. I finished it at Sunday morning coffee with my BFF and she grabbed it up. I grabbed a quick picture of me wearing it before she took it over 🙂
Simple hat I made
Also on Sunday evening I finally set down and finished my Star Stitch Scarf that I have been working on for over a year at this point. I love the way it turned out. That stitch looks so good with the yarn I got. I have one in a different color that I made myself a few years ago and its still my favorite winter scarf. I may gift it at Christmas time this year. It will go in to “storage” until I decide on a giftee for it.
Star Stitch Scarf with cute dog model
Now on to my actual WIP’s, which I believe there are only 3 of at the moment. It’s been a long time since that has happened!
- My Heartland Fiber scarf kit – my purse project since it is simple garter in the round and I can pick it up and put it down without worrying about remembering where I was at
- Grandmas shawl. It’s supposed to be about 17 inches down the middle and I am just past 12 inches right now. It’s coming right a long, but the rows are awfully long at this point!
- My sock knitted in the flat – no progress made on that since whenever I spoke of it last. I’m still undecided on if I am frogging it or going to keep chugging along.
That is it! I have the urge to start a baby blanket. Or a blanket of some sort. I don’t think i’ve gone this long without one cast on in awhile. I have some yarn I overbought from the last one I need to go exchange it out for a color I will use. I hear JoAnn’s has a new house brand of yarn that I should go check out…
This week dad is out of town at a flying event so there is no Lunches with dad this week. It will probably be sketchy for the next month or so because he has several events here at the end of the good flying weather.
I am terrible at finishing old things before I start new ones, strongly evidenced by my half finished knitting projects. I also have 3 books checked out to my Kindle from the library that have been “returned” but its in airplane mode so hasn’t gotten the memo. Whoops. AND I keep fighting the urge to get out my sewing machine and start learning how to and using it.
If you want to see my current reads, they are over in the sidebar…
As for knitting projects, I have:
- The star stitch scarf I have been working on FOREVER. It went on the back burner almost a year ago when the intended recipient, my grandma, passed away. It’s only been recently that I have decided to actually finish it and find it a home
- My scarf that I got as a kit from Heartland Fiber Company when Laura and I went up for a “fiberpalooza” this spring. It is my go to mindless project as it is straight knitting done in the round. No counting, no thinking, put it down and pick it up anytime. It’s my go-to purse project.
Heartland scarf – purse project extraordinaire…
- A hat that I cast on a couple weeks ago with my Lion Brand Ice Cream yarn that I was so excited about. Its just a simple hat and the body is done, I just need to work on the crown and finish it up. I couldn’t find my DPN’s for a bit and that’s what stopped me there. That and the fact it started requiring a little bit more than just knitting in the round to start decreasing. I am a little disappointed in the yarn tho, its knitting up fine and I love the color gradient going on, but I find the yarn very inconsistent in thickness in places and it has several “pilled” areas in the yarn. I am hoping it is confined to this skein but am skeptical that is the case. I will get another skein, I believe and try it out again because I really do like the yarn colors and color changes. (No pic…too lazy to find it right now…)
- A sock. I bought that book about knitting socks flat and have one on the needles. It isn’t very far along and honestly – I don’t hold out much hope on it… (No pic either, see above)
- Lastly (I think, anyway) is a shawl that I started a week or so ago for my grandma. I drove up to St Joesph to check out the Red Barn Yarn Farm store finally. We had gone to the dyeing workshop but I had never been to the store. I picked up some Cascade Farms yarn that is a really soft and silky acrylic and they helped me look for some patterns. I finally settled on one and cast this baby on. Its a super simple 4 row repeat for the body and is going pretty well so far. Halloween is my goal to have it done.
I’m sure I am forgetting a project in there somewhere. For once, I don’t have a blanket going. I have lots of Caron Simply Soft on hand though so it could happen at any time. I may just start one with all the odds and ends I have and see how it turns out. Also as a part of my yarn stash, I have quite a bit of hand dyed yarn that I need to do something with. My original plan was to do some knitted monsters or owls but that hasn’t happened quite yet…like so many other projects.
OH! I did finish a project that I don’t think I told you lovelies about! I FINALLY FINISHED THE HITCHHIKER SCARF!!! It needs blocked and a better picture taken…but here it is! I really like how it turned out, but I struggle with if I will actually wear it or not… Time will tell 🙂
Completed Hitchhiker scarf!
Now? It’s time for bed. I’m going to trust that my boys in blue can hold it together for another 2 innings and win this game. Guess I will find out in the morning.