We are BACK! Posting has been sporadic lately. Things get hectic in summer in fall with Dad traveling to flying events often. For the first time in a long time, there is nothing that should keep us from our regular Thursday lunches for awhile.
Today we were feeling like Mexican food was the order of the day. I chose El Patron Cocina & Bar. It’s “down on the Boulevard” with a whole host of other Mexican (and other) restaurants.
The chips and salsa were decent. I liked the salsa quite a bit. It was blended fine but had just enough tang and flavor that it didn’t taste like plain tomato sauce or tomato soup. They brought a mild and hot to the table. We both preferred the mild but would occasionally dip in the hot before the mild to mix it up.
El Patron chips and salsa
We both ordered meals of their lunch menu. I got a #7 (I believe) which had a beef burrito, a chicken taco (I chose the meats on both) and beans and rice. The burrito was nice and I really enjoyed the taco. Instead of the usual corn tortilla shell on the taco, it was a hard flour tortilla shell. Very yummy. The refried beans were nice and smooth and the rice was good too.
#7 Burrito Spread
Dad ordered the 2 Flautas lunch special. It came with 2 Flautas (duh) and rice and beans – but he decided double rice, no beans. He had never had Flautas before and said he enjoyed them.
2 Flautas lunch
Best thing? No cilantro! I am firmly in the “hates cilantro” camp. It tastes like soapy dirt to me! YUCK!
Scores? ME: 4, DAD: 3
We both agree that we would go back, me probably sooner than him, I would guess 🙂
Before I get into my WIP’s today, I think I need to talk about my completed works!
First is my Hitchhiker scarf. I know I mentioned it about a month ago but I’m still really excited about it. I finally got around to taking some better pictures of it to show it off. I’m still not sure on its final destination so it will sit safely stored away for now, unless I can find an outfit to wear it with. I’m not one to wear scarves so we shall see.
Hitchhiker Scarf, completed
Then Sunday I finished my hat that I was making from my Lion Brand Ice Cream Yarn. I could’ve made the body a bit taller but it works out pretty well. I have been close to finishing it all week but slowed down when I put it on DPN’s for the decreasing. I need to learn and use the magic loop method. DPN’s are barely ok, until you get down to those last stitches then I find them extra maddening. I finished it at Sunday morning coffee with my BFF and she grabbed it up. I grabbed a quick picture of me wearing it before she took it over 🙂
Simple hat I made
Also on Sunday evening I finally set down and finished my Star Stitch Scarf that I have been working on for over a year at this point. I love the way it turned out. That stitch looks so good with the yarn I got. I have one in a different color that I made myself a few years ago and its still my favorite winter scarf. I may gift it at Christmas time this year. It will go in to “storage” until I decide on a giftee for it.
Star Stitch Scarf with cute dog model
Now on to my actual WIP’s, which I believe there are only 3 of at the moment. It’s been a long time since that has happened!
- My Heartland Fiber scarf kit – my purse project since it is simple garter in the round and I can pick it up and put it down without worrying about remembering where I was at
- Grandmas shawl. It’s supposed to be about 17 inches down the middle and I am just past 12 inches right now. It’s coming right a long, but the rows are awfully long at this point!
- My sock knitted in the flat – no progress made on that since whenever I spoke of it last. I’m still undecided on if I am frogging it or going to keep chugging along.
That is it! I have the urge to start a baby blanket. Or a blanket of some sort. I don’t think i’ve gone this long without one cast on in awhile. I have some yarn I overbought from the last one I need to go exchange it out for a color I will use. I hear JoAnn’s has a new house brand of yarn that I should go check out…
This weeks ten things prompt is one that is fresh in my mind, since we just got back from a lovely weekend getaway.
10 Things You Take In A Travel Tote Bag
- Knitting projects – yes projects. I always have several going and pack at least 2 of them when I go anywhere. I need variety!
- My Kindle. I have several books from the library checked out on it right now. I really need to get on those…
- Laptop or iPad. Depends on where we are going and for how long, but electronics are a must.
- Charging cables – see said electronics in #3.
- Coloring books and colors of some sort. I always like variety in choosing busy “work” items.
- My camera – these days its mostly neglected but you never know when you might need it, especially if you don’t pack it.
- Lotion – I can’t stand dry hands
- Toiletries – the usual stuffs
- A water bottle.
- An emergency stash of various ailment cures like ibuprofen, loperamide and nausea meds. Always be prepared!
So what about you? What do you always travel with?
My new purse!
So with the hectic last month or so, we haven’t been getting to lunch much lately. Plus, I haven’t been keeping up with blog posts either.
A couple weeks ago we did make it to a new place in town. We went to Cafe Al Dente which is down close to the City Market. They were super busy, but it was worth the wait. I got a lemon chicken sandwich and pasta salad. Dad got the special of the day, which was a chicken parmesan sandwich, and chose cottage cheese as his side. Both sandwiches were heartily sized and so were the side dishes.
I liked them on Facebook and even got a nice message from the owner (?) thanking me for liking the page. That was a nice touch and one I will use more with our work Facebook page, I think.
Scores? Me: 4, Dad: 4
Mine on the left, dads on the right.
Dad and I were in Clinton visiting a few days later and took my Grandma to a family favorite, Pizza Glen, for lunch. It has been around forever and is just good, simple food. They have sandwiches, pizza and salads. I can’t vouch for the sandwiches because I always get the same thing; A salad with poppy seed dressing and a mini pizza with pepperoni, pineapple and mushrooms. It’s cheap and the service is always prompt and friendly. No pictures because, well, I forgot. I was hungry!
Scores? Me: 5, Dad: 4
Now I am off to find a place for this week. Dad is heading out of town so we are going to hit up a breakfast spot this week.
This weeks writing prompt: 10 Things You Did This Weekend
This is the perfect subject for me this week! My boyfriend and I went on our first official, non family related, vacation. Albeit a short one, it still counts! It’s been a particularly stressful past month or so and I decided that we were leaving town. I didn’t care where we went, but we weren’t staying home!
So without further ado:
- Worked Saturday – they tend to be quick days for us since they are only 9-12, this one was no exception
- Road Tripped with my dogs – first one ever!
- Ate BBQ – twice!
- Saw a castle at HaHa Tonka State Park
- Saw the clearest water i’ve ever seen in Missouri – at Ha Ha State Park near the spring
- Drove aimlessly – this was a trip with no real plan. Just motel reservations.
- Took pictures on said State Park adventure – my poor DSLR camera doesn’t get any attention anymore. She needed a workout
- Knitted – duh!
- Didn’t cook a single meal – it was NICE
The sunset Saturday night
What about you?